Who We Are: Mission & Guiding Principles
HandMade in America's mission is to grow economies through craft.
We strive to advance Western North Carolina as the cradle of craft.
Guiding Principles: HandMade in America Values
- The handmade object and the artists who create it. Craft is an integral part of economic development. The creation and appreciation of the handmade object is transformative to individuals and communities.
- Cultural heritage. Honoring arts, artists and cultural traditions in a region preserves and enriches community life.
- Sustainable development. The people in communities serve as the best resource to understand their challenges and opportunities and to seek and find solutions.
- Inclusion. It is vital, and all are welcome to participate.
- The regional approach. All communities come to the table with distinct assets and the opportunity to contribute and learn together across perceived boundaries.
- Partnerships. People, the communities and the region are best served by individuals and organizations working cooperatively.
- Innovation. Creativity is essential in finding and implementing workable solutions.